Monday, May 05, 2008

Going green

(My apologies to SDB, who probably thinks that I've finally "come around" to MSU. BAH!)

My office is moving to downtown Lansing soon...like 2 weeks soon. I've lived a mere 1.5 miles from my office for what, 7.5 years now, and I could never quite get into the habit of walking/biking/busing to work. I'm kind of ashamed of that fact. But now, faced with a 5-6 mile distance, plus the pain/expense of parking, and the usual onslaught of road construction, I have decided to take the bus to work!

I am SO looking forward to this. Here's why:

- "me time" during my commute
- no driving, no stress
- more exercise due to walking to/from bus stops
- less gas to buy
- better for the environment (especially if I get one of the super-cool hybrid buses)

SDB and I tried out my route over the weekend. Door to door, it will take about 40 minutes. Not too shabby! I'll need to change a few other (bad) habits of mine...for instance, I'll need to routinely make my coffee at home instead of swinging by Tim Hortons (where I'm known as "large coffee with cream and a toasted 12-grain bagel with peanut butter") or Biggby (where I'm known as "tall coffee and blueberry bagel") for my morning brew. I'll also have to get up earlier!!

How will I do in the face of all this change? Well, I have no freakin' clue right now, but I'll let you know.

4 comments:

Strangela said...

good luck! I can't to hear stories about the intersting people you will meet on the bus!

I was known just as "small coffee" at panera for awhile, until I realized the coffee really didn't taste good. Now I drink my free coffee in our office, which is equally as bad, from my reusable mug.

Susan W said...

You can do it - you rock Kirsten!!! I actually miss my commute on the ol' "L" in Chicago. It was truly "my" time, I got to sit and relax and read - it was great! I also got to have good stories to tell of the crazy folks I would meet on the train :)

Keep us posted - it sounds like a fantastic possibility!

Animal said...

So...you're going to be one of those "bus people" now, eh? (*nasal, whiny voice*) "I'll take a bus pass, please!" Shee-it. That WILL make for some interestin' stories come MND. I can't WAIT until the first time you see some guy surreptitiously beating off in the back of the bus!

(God, I'm cruel, ain't I??)

kat said...

Um, thanks Animal.